Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Day two San Blas June 14th, 2013

The next morning friday around 8:30am we loaded our over night bags onto the dinghy and went back to the boat.  The main table was covered with an amazing breakfast.  Eggs, rice with bacon and beans, guacamole spread, cucumber spread, eggs, fruit bowl, ham, salami, several cheeses, tomatos, onion, cucumber, hummus.  So we all ate and then we went back and picked up,the backpackers, which there were like 12 of them.  So they came aboard and ate then we started the motor pulled the anchor and started motoring at about 7.5 knots for 3 hours toward the San Blas Islands.  We talked for a while and had a good time and just kicked back.  My volunteer day for work was today and so I helped Juan, the captains first mate from Spain start preparing for dinner which would be potato salad and shish kabobs on the beach where we would have a BBQ.  So we cut veggies, boiled potatoes, cut meat, bacon etc enough for 22 people.  So we got to the spot, dropped anchor and loaded the food, supplies, and condiments onto the dinghy.  I decided to climb the mast and check out the area and get some photos while I was up there. Many people had already swam from the boat to the island.  So we took the stuff over and people started making their own shishkabobs and putting them on the grill above the fire that Guillermo had made.  The potato salad of sauteed carrots, onion, garlic, paprika, salt, pepper and fresh chopped culantro was awesome.  Them we made several shishkabobs of filet mignon, bacon, fruita de pan, bell pepper, onion.  Then we hung out all night and talked and told stories of our travels and where we had been and learned from each others ideas and experiences.  I got to know everyone during this experience...Minh who is getting his Masters from Harvard, David who is working as a consultant with industrial organizations, Tony who has traveled two years and plans to continue, Connor and Jay who are taking time to do a father son journey from Minnesota to the tip of south america, and many others.  Then around 10pm we headed back to the boat because it started to rain, and the drunk 5 germans were getting crazy.  Then we all went back to the boat and went to bed, but Tony stayed the night on the island in a tent under a guna hut with a partial roof. 

No comments: