Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Atlantic crossing - Bermuda to the Azores #3

Fill the stainless kettle. Close the lid so it’ll whistle. Turn the burner to high, light it with the lighter and hold the knob in til it stays lit. Bring it to a boil. Take out the bacon and lay out eight slices in the nonstick pan. Cook the eggs sunny side up in the bacon grease. Throw in a cut up leftover boiled potato from last night and fry it. Toast the bread in the pan. The kettle begins to whistle. Add five scoops of folgers Colombian coffee then fill the lid with cold water and dump it in and the grinds will sink to the bottom. Dan is at the table on the aft deck. Ah this looks good. I pour the coffee slowly so not too many grains go into the cup. The air is cool and the mood is tense. Dan is focused on his plan for the day. Its a big day. We load the laundry, the water bladder, and dans bag into the dinghy. I stay at the laundry mat and Dan takes the bus to Hamilton. The machine is broke. Not taking cash. The ladies tell me to take #6 to St. Davids by the airport, theres another laundromat. I wait for the bus and make friends with a man with a beard and a cane named Mike. Said his mom was at a dance in New Jersey laughed and out he popped which is how he has dual citizenship?! I get on the bus, pay and tell the driver I’m going to St. Davids and to stop at the laundromat. He says you gotta tell me when to stop its not my job. Mike says I’ll show you. But the driver has a change of heart and stops anyway, okay go down the street. You’ll see a hole in the fence go through it and down the dirt path. It comes out at the laundromat. When you come back stand on the street below and a bus will come at 11:40. I thanked him. Laundry done and cutting it close I rush to the bus stop. A lady pulls up in an suv. Do you need a ride? Yeah! Going to st. George? I’ll take you. She says the bus is unpredictable. We chat for a while. Tell her thanks. I whatsapp Dan and meet him at the dinghy. We row back for lunch. He leaves me at the boat to go get Aleks from the airport while I take a food inventory and make fresh bread. Two hours later the dinghy pulls up and its Aleks! He had been stranded at sea with just he and an English captain in Barbados. Missed his flight and had to book another. But he was finally here. He’d been through a lot. I helped him with his backpack, made him a cup of coffee and a sandwich with hot bread fresh out of the oven. We talked a while then heard someone whistle. Dan was back and needed a row. We had a discussion about the provisioning. Then departed the boat in the dinghy. Headed to Hamilton the big city. Bought groceries amounting to $600. Packed it all in three back packs, one with wheels. Bus was an hour and a half wait. So we chipped in with some Seattle Americans and a local on a $60 taxi van back to St. Georges since the bus was still an hour wait. Got back to the boat and put everything away. Its 11pm and we are leaving in the morning. Wow today is the day. As I type this from the deck of the boat we are waiting in line to top off the fuel and add water. After that theres no turning back. For 21 days at sea. We will be at the mercy of the wind and the waves. Its windy and the weather looks good for he next week. Zoloft and his wife are just ahead of us. He atmosphere is good. We are going to have a good trip. I’ll see you all on the other side! A dios!

No comments: